Celebrating Scotland’s Commonwealth Games Athletes with Cycle Stands launch in Edinburgh

Posted by Katie Wright / 27/02/2015

Legacy 2014 logo blue.jpg

The lasting legacy of the Commonwealth Games has a permanent fixture in Edinburgh with the unveiling of commemorative cycle stands at the city’s Meadowbank Stadium.  Launched as part of the Legacy 2014 Active Travel programme, all Team Scotland Glasgow 2014 medallists nominated public places where stands in their medal colour would be installed. One bronze stand in honour of Shooting 50m Bronze medallist Jennifer McIntosh and a silver stand to recognize Louise Haston’s Silver medal in the Cycling Para sport sprint have been unveiled at Meadowbank.

Louise Haston commented:

“Meadowbank Stadium has been an important venue for thousands of young aspiring athletes over the years. It’s a very special place to me as I trained there for most of most of my athletics career and I also started track cycling at Meadowbank. It was great to see how people really got behind Glasgow 2014 and these new stands are a useful way of ensuring the legacy of the Games continues to enrich the lives of Scots for years to come.”

Jennifer McIntosh commented:

“I’m originally from Edinburgh and Meadowbank Stadium has been a ‘home from home’ for me. It’s a place which has been really important to my training schedule and every time I’m here it reminds me of the great success of last year. The stand is already being used so the Legacy lives on!”

The Commemorative Cycle Stands are being installed by Cycling Scotland and Edinburgh Leisure along with Sustrans Scotland and Transport Scotland. They are part of the new Legacy 2014 Active Travel Programme which aims to encourage people of all ages to take the first steps towards an active, healthier lifestyle.

Derek Mackay, Minister for Transport and Islands said:

“These commemorative cycle stands are a fantastic initiative and will provide an everyday reminder of the hugely successful Team Scotland performance at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games last summer.”

CyclingScotland_150226_008

Keith Irving, Cycling Scotland Chief Executive said:

“People remember the gold postboxes from the London Olympics and these gold, silver and bronze commemorative cycle stands are a lasting reminder of the Glasgow Commonwealth Games. They help add to the necessary cycling facilities for the growing number of people enjoying riding a bike to leisure centres, schools, workplaces and shops. ‘’

John Lauder, National Director of Sustrans Scotland, said:

“The Commonwealth Games in Glasgow was such an overriding success story that we want to ensure that it’s legacy lives on for many years to come.  The installation of these legacy cycle stands is a perfect way to ensure that this is the case.

“I am confident that they will be well used and am hopeful that they will actually encourage those who do not currently cycle to give it a go.

“They will serve as a constant reminder of Scotland’s success and ensure that the Games have a positive and lasting effect on our health, the environment and the economy both now and into the future.”

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.