Cycle Friendly Employer Award
Our nationally recognised Cycle Friendly Employer Award is for Scottish organisations committed to increasing cycling.
Working alongside regional service centres, those registered for the Cycle Friendly Employer Award will benefit from a range of useful services designed to ensure their efforts make a difference.
The Cycle Friendly Employer Award will:
- reward those organisations already working hard to increase workplace cycling
- provide a tool to help improve provision for cycling in the workplace
- provide resources and ‘best practice’ guides to support your organisation
- signpost your organisation to local initiatives that may assist you becoming Cycle Friendly
- offer your organisation access to a Workplace Grant Fund
- expert one-to-one guidance through our service centre network
- provide the tools needed to effectively monitor and evaluate staff cycling rates
Once you have registered here you will be contacted by your local service centre who will provide the support you need to achieve the award.
The Award Process
Consider the current level of support for cycling at your workplace. You may wish to discuss with staff or management to get a broad idea of what is offered or what needs improved. Register your workplace online and complete the self assessment which consists of 12 simple questions.
2 WORKPLACE ASSESSMENT
A Cycle Friendly assessor will be assigned to assist you with the award criteria. The first step is an informal assessment of your workplace, with a review of your facilities and the current level of support provided.
3 ACTION PLAN
Your assessor will follow up with a tailored action plan containing advice and guidance surrounding the areas that need improvement in order to achieve the award.
Once these actions have been completed the assessor will award your certificate.
Cycle Friendly Employer Service Centres
We work in partnership with nine Cycle Friendly Employer Service Centres across Scotland.
The Bike Station Edinburgh, The Bike Station Glasgow, Recyke-a-Bike, Adventure Aberdeen, Velocity Cafe and Bike Shop, Shetland Bike Project, Outfit Moray, Angus Cycle Hub and Neilston Development Trust are all fully accredited by Cycling Scotland to provide local support and delivery of the Cycle Friendly Employer Award.
Cycle Friendly Employer assessors will provide support, guidance and feedback at every stage of the award process. They are also able to deliver a range of workplace based activities, including; onsite bicycle maintenance through ‘Dr Bike’, cycle training with Essential Cycling Skills, support for workplace led rides and access to cycling resources and information plus much more.
The Big Count
The Big Count asks you, twice a year, to visit the bike parking at your workplace and count the number of bikes there that day. It’s that simple. There are so many reasons to take part:
- we will enter you into a prize draw to win a bike
- you will be regularly and anonymously monitoring your organisation’s rates of cycling
- it takes 5 minutes to do
- your organisation will be taking a step towards becoming a Cycle Friendly Employer
To find out more about the Big Count or call 0141 229 5350.
For further information on any of the above contact Caroline Hammond – Development Officer.