Cycle Friendly Employer Award
Want to start moving towards the award? Start by registering and answering eleven yes/no answer questions here.
If you would like to have a quick look at the assessment questions prior to registering, download them here.
What is it?
Our nationally recognised Cycle Friendly Employer Award is for Scottish organisations committed to increasing cycling.
We developed this award with support from the Scottish Centre for Healthy Working Lives with the aim of:
• providing tools and incentives to promote cycling in the workplace
• rewarding those organisations already working hard to increase workplace cycling
• providing ‘best practice’ guidance on commuting
• providing a tool to help improve a sustainable travel plan
We will support you through each stage of the award process and provide you with resources to boost cycling further.
The step-by-step Cycle Friendly Employer process
1. Find a committed workplace ‘cycle champion’ to lead the process, this person may be you!
3. Complete the short ‘yes/no answer’ online self-assessment
4. We will contact you to provide feedback or to arrange the next step
5. Once you have collected supporting evidence we will carry out a short assessment visit
6. If you’re successful your workplace will receive a framed certificate and access to a range of supporting services
Cycling Scotland works in partnership with organisations across Scotland to form a network of Cycle Friendly Service Centres. Find out more about our Cycle Friendly Service Centres.
To support workplaces to achieve Cycle Friendly Employer status, Cycling Scotland has dedicated grant funding available of up to £3,000. To apply for the funding, workplaces must be registered with the scheme, and through the self-assessment process be able to demonstrate how the grant funding will help overcome barriers towards achieving criteria. Match-funding or other in-kind commitment will be required.
The application submission deadline is 12 noon, Monday 2nd May 2016.
The Big Count
The Big Count asks you, twice a year, to visit the bike parking at your workplace and count the number of bikes there that day. It’s that simple. There are so many reasons to take part:
• we will enter you into a prize draw to win a bike;
• you will be regularly and anonymously monitoring your organisation’s rates of cycling;
• it takes 5 minutes to do;
• your organisation will be taking a step towards becoming a Cycle Friendly Employer;
• and you will be helping Scotland become a nation of cyclists.
To find out more about the Big Count follow this link or call 0141 229 5350.
Become a Workplace Cycle Instructor:
Offered in partnership with the NHS Health Scotland
Are you a keen cyclist and/or the office workplace champion for cycling? Have you ever dreamt of cycling becoming part of your job? We are excited to offer you the opportunity to become a Workplace Cycle Instructor, delivering Essential Cycling Skills to your colleagues.
NHS Health Scotland has funded a number of spaces to employees of Cycle Friendly Employers or employers working towards CFE status to do just that. The two day course will provide staff with the skills to deliver a two and a half hour modular course that will give new and returning cyclists the skills they need to become confident cyclists, including:
- bike handling skills;
- best practice for on-road positioning;
- knowledge of roadside repair.
To register your interest please, make sure your employer is CFE registered and send an email with the title ‘Workplace Instructor Training’ to Mark Kiehlmann on firstname.lastname@example.org detailing:
• your name and contact details (including name of workplace);
• your experience as a cyclist;
• details of how you will cascade training to your colleagues, including commitment from senior management to support your plans.
We will then contact you to let you know if you have been successful, providing details of where and when the training will take place. We will attempt to provide training in clusters around Scotland but travel may be required.
Love Hate My Bike resource kit
Love/Hate My Bike is an eye catching campaign designed to engage with you and your colleagues and get you talking about cycling. LHMB gives you the opportunity to tailor your own posters that your colleagues can interact with. The campaign is supported with a range of posters and other printed materials. LHMB also has an interactive online social networking site.
Cycle Friendly Employer champions handbook
We designed this helpful booklet to help guide you through the award with helpful tips and recommendations along the way. Download the Cycle Friendly Employer champions handbook.
Considering Cycling to Work DVD workshop
This workshop is aimed at staff members who are contemplating active travel. It gives you the opportunity to consider and reflect on how cycle commuting could benefit you. Using a DVD as its basis the session lasts one hour, and is ideal as a lunchtime workshop and introduction to cycle commuting.
For more information about the DVD workshop please contact Mark on 0141 229 5358.
Links and advice
If we cannot immediately answer your question, there is an excellent chance we know someone who can! We are a member of various groups such as the Physical Activity Health Alliance and the Physical Activity Partner Group, alongside Sustrans, JogScotland, Paths for All and SwimScotland. We have links with the Scottish Government, local authorities, regional transport partnerships and other cycling agencies as well. Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.
Mark Kiehlmann – Development Officer
Christopher Johnson – Senior Development Officer