Cycle Friendly Employer Award
Want to start moving towards the award? Start by registering and answering eleven yes/no answer questions here.
If you would like to have a quick look at the assessment questions prior to registering click here
What is it?
Our nationally recognised Cycle Friendly Employer Award is for Scottish organisations committed to increasing cycling.
We developed this award with support from the Scottish Centre for Healthy Working Lives with the aim of:
- providing tools and incentives to promote cycling in the workplace;
- rewarding those organisations already working hard to increase workplace cycling;
- providing ‘best practice’ guidance on commuting;
- providing a tool to help improve a sustainable travel plan.
We will support you through each stage of the award process. We will even provide you with resources to boost cycling further, including:
- commuter training:
- small grants:
- activity resources.
The step-by-step Cycle Friendly Employer process
1. Find a committed workplace ‘cycle champion’ to lead the process, this person may be you!
2. Register your organisation online here.
3. Complete the short ‘yes/no answer’ online self-assessment.
4. We will contact you to provide feedback or to arrange the next step.
5. Once you have collected supporting evidence we will carry out a short assessment visit
6. If you’re successful your workplace will receive a framed certificate and access to a range of supporting services.
The Big Count
The Big Count asks you, twice a year, to visit the bike parking at your workplace and count the number of bikes there that day. It’s that simple. There are so many reasons to take part:
- we will enter you into a prize draw to win a bike;
- you will be regularly and anonymously monitoring your organisation’s rates of cycling;
- it takes 5 minutes to do;
- your organisation will be taking a step towards becoming a Cycle Friendly Employer;
- and you will be helping Scotland become a nation of cyclists.
To find out more about the Big Count please call 0141 229 5350.
CFE workplace grants
Cycling Scotland are pleased to announce the return of the popular Workplace Grant schemes. Organisations working towards achieving Cycle Friendly Employer Status can apply for up to £1,500 (match funded) to help put in place measures aimed at promoting and increasing staff cycling. Workplace grants are supported by the Scottish Centre For Healthy Working Lives, and successful applicants will be able to demonstrate that their cycling initiative supports wider health promotion. Application forms and guidance notes are available to download here.
Cycle Commuter training
Our Cycle Commuter course is designed to provide new and existing cyclists with the skills to make journeys by bike confidently. We focus on practical experience,balancing the right mix of practical sessions and classroom based activities. By the end of this course you will be able to:
- check a bike is safe to use;
- make minor adjustments and carry out simple roadside repairs;
- plan a journey;
- make an independent journey.
We designed this course so that it can be delivered flexibly, with tutors tailoring lessons to the needs of the participants. The course can be delivered in four two hour sessions or two four hour sessions. These sessions can be delivered over lunch breaks, after work or on the weekends.
For more info contact Chris on 0141 229 5353. Cycle Commuter is currently being offered to organisations registered with Cycle Friendly Employer for the subsidised rate of £100 for a class of 8 – normal price £450
Love Hate My Bike resource kit
Love/Hate My Bike is an eye catching campaign designed to engage with you and your colleagues and get you talking about cycling. LHMB gives you the opportunity to tailor your own posters that your colleagues can interact with. The campaign is supported with a range of posters and other printed materials. LHMB also has an interactive online social networking site.
Join the debate at facebook.com/lovehatemybike or contact email@example.com to order a pack for your workplace.
Cycle Friendly Employer champions handbook
We designed this helpful booklet to help guide you through the award with helpful tips and recommendations along the way. To download it click here.
Considering Cycling to Work DVD workshop
This workshop is aimed at staff members who are contemplating active travel. It gives you the opportunity to consider and reflect on how cycle commuting could benefit you. Using a DVD as its basis the session lasts one hour, and is ideal as a lunchtime workshop and introduction to cycle commuting.
For more information about the DVD workshop please contact Chris Johnson on 0141 229 5353 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Links and advice
If we cannot immediately answer your question, there is an excellent chance we know someone who can! We are a member of various groups such as the Physical Activity Health Alliance and the Physical Activity Partner Group, alongside Sustrans, JogScotland, Paths for All and SwimScotland. We have links with the Scottish Government, local authorities, regional transport partnerships and other cycling agencies as well. Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.
Hall of Fame
Please visit our Cycle Friendly Employer Hall of Fame, showing all of our Cycle Friendly Employers with a selection of helpful case studies to give you ideas and to share lessons learned.
Matthew MacDonald – Development Officer
Christopher Johnson – Lead Development Officer