Cycle Friendly School Award
What is it?
Our Cycle Friendly School Award is designed to reward the parents, teachers and volunteers around Scotland committed to increasing cycling in schools.
Our award is open to every Primary School in Scotland and is nationally recognised. The award is designed to encourage cycling to become part of a schools culture, providing benefits such as:
- improving the children’s health;
- improving the school and surrounding environment;
- contributing towards Health Promoting School and Eco-School initiatives;
- linking in with curriculum for excellence.
We will support you through each stage of the award process providing:
- printed resources;
- lesson plans;
- support with cycle training.
The step-by-step Cycle Friendly School process:
1. Find a committed school ‘cycle champion’ to help guide your work.
3. Complete the quick and easy online self-assessment.
4. We will contact you to provide recommendations or simply to set up the next step.
5. We will visit your school to carry out a short assessment and provide support if needed.
6. If your school is successful you will receive a framed certificate and goodies for both pupils and staff
- Cycle Friendly School champions handbook - A helpful book we wrote to guide you through the award with helpful tips and recommendations. Click here to download it.
- Lesson plans – We have produced eight lesson plans to help you link cycling activities to the Curriculum for Excellence. Click here to download them.
- Cycle training – We offer a range of courses for staff and volunteers to become cycle trainers and leaders. To find out more click here.
- Cycle training resources – In partnership with Road Safety Scotland we have developed excellent resources to support the delivery of cycle training. To find out more information and to order your resources click here.
- Links and advice – If we can’t help you answer a question directly, chances are we know someone who can! Cycling Scotland are a member of the Cycling in Schools group, along with the CTC, Sustrans, EcoSchools, Learning Teaching Scotland, Scottish Cycling, Scottish Government, sportscotland, and Road Safety Scotland.
- Hall of fame – Please visit our Cycle Friendly School Hall of Fame – showing all our Cycle Friendly Schools with a selection of helpful case studies to give you ideas and promote shared learning. There are a range of schools across Scotland working towards getting more children on there bikes. Even schools in the Western Isles are doing there bit to get children cycling. Here is a case study from a small rural school on Lewis. Uig Primary only has 19 pupils but has done some great stuff to promote cycling to school. Click here to see their case study
Matthew Macdonald – Development Officer
Matt@cyclingscotland.org or 07423 436803